Have you ever been going about your daily business in the shops and found yourself sucked in by a sale that brandishes the tagline: “For a limited time only!”? Have you ever been idly looking at an item online and then ended up buying it because a pop up screams there are only two left in stock? Commiserations. You may have just been snookered by a human psychological bias called loss aversion.

winner-1548239__340

You’re a winner! (For a limited time only.) Source: Pixabay

Loss aversion refers to the phenomenon where people are more likely to prefer avoiding a loss than acquiring equivalent gains. In other words – people tend to find losing £10 a lot more painful than, say, winning £10 on the lotto. This is what motivates people to buy something when a limited sale is on, or there are only 2 items left in stock. People don’t want to lose out and what’s more, they want to hold on to what they already have, at seemingly any cost.

buying-15810_960_720

Honey, I know we don’t really need a cascading avalanche of Sale Signs but it was the last cascading avalanche they had! Source: Pixabay

This phenomenon has been demonstrated in financial studies multiple times. A notable investigation into studies of the phenomenon was performed by Kahneman and Tversky (1983) and was discussed in their paper “Choices, Values and Frames”. They analysed studies which presented questions to participants such as: “Would you rather have a sure loss of $750 OR a 75% chance to lose $1000 and a 25% chance to lose nothing?” Most people chose the option to gamble because they wanted to avoid making a loss, even though there was a very high chance that they may lose a lot more.

man-869215_960_720

Actually, I’ll take the sure loss, thanks! Source: Pixabay

So how can this psychological bias affect you when it comes to investing? HITInvestments.com has a useful list of examples of where you can trip up due to this bias. Examples include: not selling a failing stock because you would make a loss, investing in safe products that are low yield and even selling an investment to avoid more losses, even though you should logically keep it.

cat-800760_960_720

Whew, how am I going to get rid of all that tuna stock….I mean…meow! Source: Pixabay

So what can you take away from this post? The point is that you must always be mindful of what you do. When you feel the urge to buy or sell, stop and think, “Am I moving too fast?” Always look at the numbers, take a step back and take a look at the bigger picture as a whole and make sure you aren’t pressured into anything. Keep in mind as well that a sure gain may not always be the best choice and sometimes you need to take a little more risk to reap a higher reward.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s